We were honoured to have Venerable Phraraja Bajaramanit (Ajahn Jayasaro) and Ajahn Jiew preside over the Blessing Ceremony for Panyaden’s Secondary Building on Thursday 5th September 2019. Later in the evening, Ajahn Jayasaro shared his wisdom at the Dhamma Talk held at the Assembly Hall.
Highlights of his teaching include:
- Having different views should not stop us from respecting and befriending others.
- We should not hold onto our views too tightly but instead be open to hearing the reasons others think differently and change our mind if appropriate.
- It is helpful to remember the times we were convinced we were right about something only to find out later that we were wrong.
- A mind trained in meditation is more skilful at seeing emotions for what they are and saves us from identifying with them and creating suffering for ourselves.
Respectively, Ajahn Jiew then lead a One-Day Meditation Retreat on Saturday 7th September 2019.
Some key observations include:
- We all know that sooner or later we will have to face pain. Working on peacefully coexisting with some pain during meditation can be a good practice.
- Meditation does not always have to be about observing the breath. We can sometimes meditate about the particular topic and this can bring clarity in the mind.
- Walking meditation can be particularly efficient when contemplating an idea or an issue.
- While walking meditation done at a very slow pace can help strengthen our focus, we can benefit a lot from doing walking meditation at a normal pace because we can then be better equipped to use it on a daily basis.
We, at Panyaden are ever grateful for their kind support and wise teachings, and our upmost thanks to all the students, teachers, staff, support team and participants in making the three day event a blissful experience.